24 January 2009

The Band: Episode 1


Just wanted to let you all know that I am now in a band! I played in several different bands in high school. Mostly worship and Christian rock bands, with the exception of the first - ShatterProof, worst band ever - but this band promises to be one amazing experience. It is made up of me, an awesome guy known as David Davis, and another friend named Matt Mintz (who is affectionately known as the Mr. Frodo to my Samwise McGamgee). 

We have no agenda, and that makes this project special. We simply create music. Everything acoustic and everything good. We want to utilize all of the instruments we play, but not compromise on song integrity, so you will hear guitar, mandolin (me and David), vocals (Matt has the best voice, so we make him sing the most, but we all share the responsibility), hammered dulcimer (me, eventually), and anything else we decide we can play. 

Our first official writing session was last night. It started with a trip to Guitar Center. We all love that place and love goofing around. We inevitably always end our time there in the "$1,000 Room", which is a humidified room where every acoustic over $1,000 resides. Last night I fell in love with a Gibson Hummingbird ($2,795) that caused me to rethink my obsession with Martin acoustics. (I love the D-18 and the D-28, not to mention there awesome artist series with guitars by the likes of Porter Wagner, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, and many others. The quality that makes this series special is how closely the artist works with Martin to craft the guitar.) I did, however, find a Martin (not sure of the series) that I loved but the $8,795 price tag was slightly intimidating. 

Back to what I'm supposed to be blogging about. The three of us headed back to Starbucks together. (We all work there.) Where we used our own instruments to begin writing as a group. After some goofy songs we settled into our groove, and I was blessed by the talent of my friends. We ended up writing two songs. Good songs. Even by my impossible standards. 

I'll end this blog by saying we do not have a name for this project, but here is the lyrics to one of our songs.

Wake up
Another mornings come
To light the world
To warm your heart

So wake up 
I'm by your side
Nothing to hide
With nothing to say
Except I love you

So here we are
So here we go

This feels like home
This feels like home
This feels like home
You feel like home

Say, "Good night"
Rest your pretty eyes
The moon is high
I am here tonight

Good night
Lay your tired body down
Tomorrow comes
It comes fast, for us

So here we are
So here we go

This feels like home
This feels like home
This feels like home
You feel like home


1 comment:

Randy Small said...

that is TOTALLY cool! now you need to post some audio to go along with your lyrics... and let me know when your first gig is :-)